Work at the Holt Research Forest is dedicated to
Dr. William L. Holt Jr.
his wife, Winifred Holt
and their son, F. Rodney Holt.
These family members were the impetus for the creation of the Holt Woodlands Research Foundation and the Holt Research Forest. The Holts’ generosity, foresight and commitment to forest research has been demonstrated repeatedly over the many years of this project.
Their past support of the Holt Research Forest has and will continue to provide benefits to students, logging, forestry, and wildlife professionals, forest landowners, and forest management in Maine. To this end, they have served us all.
Current and Past Investigators from University of Maine Faculty
- Malcolm L. Hunter Jr., Libra Professor of Conservation Biology and Professor of Wildlife Ecology, Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Conservation Biology
- Laura Kenefic, Research Forester and Principal Silviculturist, U.S.D.A. Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station NE-4155 Ecology and Management of Northern Forest Ecosystems and Faculty Associate, School of Forest Resources
- Alan J. Kimball, Forest Manager, University Forests and Associate Professor of Forest Resources, School of Forest Resources (now retired)
- Jessica Leahy, Associate Professor of Human Dimensions of Natural Resources, School of Forest Resources & Interim Associate Dean for Research & Associate Director, Maine Agricultural and Forest Experiment Station
- Aaron Weiskittel, Associate Professor of Forest Biometrics and Modeling and Irving Chair of Forest Ecosystem Management, School of Forest Resources
- Alan S. White, Professor of Forest Ecology, School of Forest Resources (now retired)
Holt Research Forest On-site Staff
Jack W. Witham, Associate Scientist, School of Forest Resources
- Steve Campbell (2007) Effects of a group selection harvest on the bird community of an oak-pine forest in Maine. Department of Wildlife Ecology, University of Maine, Orono.
- Karen E. McCracken (1996) Seed predation by small mammals on three species of trees in an oak-pine forest ecosystem. Ph.D. dissertation, Department of Wildlife Ecology, University of Maine, Orono. 107pp.
- Martha E. Schumann (1999) The effects of harvest-created gaps on plant species diversity, composition, abundance, and growth in a Maine oak-pine forest. M.S. thesis, Department of Ecosystem Science, University of Maine, Orono. 179 pp.
- Laura M. Monti (1997) Redback salamander habitat preferences in a Maine oak-pine forest. M. S. Thesis, Department of Wildlife Ecology, University of Maine, Orono. 53 pp.
- Tamara L. Clark (1996) Stand development, growth patterns, and regeneration success of red oak in an oak-pine forest in southern Maine. M.S. thesis, Department of Ecosystem Science, University of Maine, Orono. 154 pp.
- Andy A. Whitman (1992) Frugivory and seed dispersal of fleshy-fruiting plants in a northern temperate forest. M. S. Thesis, Department of Wildlife Ecology, University of Maine, Orono. 214pp.
- Mary F. Small (1986) Response of songbirds and small mammals to powerline and river edges of Maine oak-pine forests. M.S. Thesis, Department of Wildlife Ecology, University of Maine, Orono. 58 pp.
Senior Honors Theses
Four undergraduates have prepared senior honors theses based on work they did at the Holt Research Forest: Martha Wood, Stuart Gardiner, Shawn Crawley, and David Ginsberg.
Holt Research Forest Research Assistants
Over ninety students including graduate and undergraduates, most from the University of Maine, have worked on the Holt Research Forest. Without their help, research and property management on the Holt would be impossible. They are, listed in chronological order: Mary Gaudette, Don Barrett, Bill Jarvis, Mark Andrews, Rich Vannozi, Heather Almquist, James Favereau, Cheri Meinson, Shawn Carlson, David Kane, Jeffrey Slahor, Kathleen Meddleton, Brian Peters, Sally Stockwell, Peter Wagner, Ralph Keyes, David Libby, Mary K. Meimam, Sharon Abrams, Tina Stillings, Jeremy Blaiklock, Susan Bobowitz, Steve Bongiorno, Kim Figlar, Cindy Garman, Peter Reaman, Tami Rudnicky, Jim Rudnicky, Stacy Proudman, Amy Mehan, Xiandong Meng, Al Meister, David Landry, Tracey Walls, Adam Carmichael, Larry Lee, Jeff Williams, Sixto Garache, Dan Scott, Christine Petibou, Scott Houle, Carroll Cooper, Michael Baer, Melissa Laser, Christine Wooley, Brandon Mann, Krishnan Sudharsan, Bryan Swenson, Catherine Galipeau, Jennifer Watkinson, Roxanne Burrus, Tracey Daras, Gregory Stevens, Jeremy Tardif, Dawn Nelson, Brenda Bilotta, Rebecca Garrahan, Holly Robertson, Gina Purtell, Walter Veselka, Brad Friebel, Judith Scarl, Christina Thompson, Shane Gauber, Matt Montgomery, Seth Rifkin, and David Ginsberg, Alex Stace, Emily LaPlante, Katie Manende, Rich Lucas, Jamie Weaver, Cassandra Pease, Peter McBride, Rebecca Clark, Nicole Rogers, Violet Wood, Oliver Watkinson, Eli Shank, Eric Berube, Karen Purinton, Hugh Valaitis, Norah Young, Anna Jaegar and Trevor Cordwell.
Thank you, Assistants, one and all! Apologies to any we missed.